One of the things I really love about Japan is their appreciation of the four seasons. Today was a national holiday (for the vernal equinox) and we had a "moon viewing party" and it was terrific. There were people playing the shamisen and some of the taiko ladies did a performance reading of the childrens book "Mochi Mochi no Ki" (the mochi mochi tree). I got to wear yukata with my friend Yui, her friend Midori and our Vietnamese friend, Trang. Mostly there were a lot of old people there but it's always fun to talk with and observe them. These people really liked shamisen music. It's really traditional and strange sounding if you've never heard it before but it's a string instrument so whether it's twangy or melodic, I'm bound to love it. I wouldn't say that I would listen to shamisen music on a daily basis but for a live performance in a traditional(ish) Japanese building, surrounded by Japanese people, it was a really interesting and enjoyable experience.
That's the report for today, oyasumi~ (goodnight!)
No comments:
Post a Comment