Monday, March 3, 2008

Going back to school: Afton-Lakeland and beyond

Well, I've been at Afton-Lakeland Elementary school for three weeks now and it has been wonderful but I'm starting to realize that it is the beginning of the end. I only have six school days left and then I don't get to see my first graders again!
I'm going to miss all of my first graders, even the naughty ones (though there aren't many of those). Over the past three weeks I've gotten to know their quirks, what they do best, what they need help with, and what makes them smile. If there is one thing that I will take away from this experience it is the knowledge that first graders are very good learners but they also need room for play and stories in their days. They learn so well through these two mediums and they have fun doing it. I have loved being a part of their classroom and their learning experience.
While I know that it will be sad to leave them, I can't wait to move on to new things- like warm weather! Honestly, it's March and it still feels like January! Sacramento, Tokyo, Nagasaki, here I come!

No comments: