Monday, October 5, 2009

Barbeque at Minnesotan(esque) Lake and Another Wonderful Elementary Visit

Yesterday I went to Biwa-ko, the biggest lake in Japan. So, overall my weekend was, in the words of Saif Ali Khan, "rocking-hai!" Very exciting.

1. Barbeque at Biwa-ko with Kenji-sensei. One of the nursery school teachers took me along with his parents and his wife (who is due to have a baby in about 4 weeks!) to this amazing lake, and we got to enjoy the cool breeze under some pine trees. It was the most Minnesotan atmosphere I have yet encountered in Japan. It was a bit awkward, since I don't know them that well and they were doing so much for me (this often happens in Japan, that foreigners- being all alone- are invited to join family outings and they even plan what they will eat around what you say you like) but I just had to remind myself that this was also an opportunity for them to enjoy an afternoon in the sun. Overall, we had a great time and got along really well; and if the conversation ever dipped, Kenji was always be ready with a  joke and plenty of laughter- seriously, if Santa were younger and Japanese, it would be Kenji.

2. Books. I mentioned this before, but it is SO nice to have various materials to read in school, after school, waiting for anything. Hooray for books!

3. I visited Ujitawara Elementary School today (the one that served me hot chocolate) and it was amazing! The teachers there really know what they're doing and the kids are actually surprisingly good at English for their age. It was so cute, they kept coming up to me and telling me their names and I got invited out to recess to play jump rope. It was a great day at elementary school. Oh, I even lead a game or two- not my strong point, but I'm learning. Did I mention how cute they are? So cute.

4. Udon noodles: "Great success!" I made udon today with actual udon sauce instead of cheating and making curry udon. It was really good! That adds a whole new dimension to my diet. Now I can cook two things!

5. This week feels like another vacation because... I'm  not going to the Junior High this week! You have no idea how excited I was to see that on my schedule. Those kids are cute and wacky, but sitting at my desk is boring and anticipating what my teachers are going to ask me to do next has been pretty stressful lately. It will get better, but after last week I'm so glad to have a break. Yay.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

OMG Sarah--look at your adorable profile pic! Did you finally get the glasses you've been dreaming about? You look like a stunning and sexy librarian! Love, Siri

uppermeadows said...

From Peaceful Valleys:
So glad you've got 2 dishes in your repretoire!
So what are the teachers in the Jr. High asking you to do? Can you read when you have nothing to do there? It reminds me of the question asked during your interview in Chicago about what you'd do if all the teacher wanted you to do was to push a button!
Sounds like those elementary school kids are almost as cute as the preschoolers. Thank heavens for little girls and boys!