1. It's like a snow day... School was closed again yesterday due to influenza. So, I thought that about 5 students had influenza (H1N1 I'm pretty sure) and now about 70 students have it. At our school that's about 1/5 of the students. So, I taught one class (in one of those medical masks, which is not easy when you're teaching a language) and then all of the teachers convened in the staff room for a meeting. I heard "influenza" and "meet outside" or I thought I did, but I didn't understand everything so I asked one of the English teachers who said, "The school will close from now, we will go home." So, I walked back to the office at the Board of Education and spent yet another day pretending to do work.
2. "Halloween!!!" "-it's tomorrow." Last night my Uji friends and I went out to celebrate Halloween, that's right, one day early. Being busy bees in Japan, some of us have things to do on Sunday so Friday was the chosen night for Halloween mayhem i.e. Pubs and lots of karaoke. The night was a huge success as it was a smaller group of our Uji friends and the karaoke wasn't so deafeningly loud as last time. Also our prefectural adviser came out with us as well which was a trip. He's our age but is technically our "higher up." Anyway, we had kabobs as well and ended the night in a Rastafarian "bar" eating sweet potato fries and salad underneath a heavily canopied ceiling that looked like a college dorm room, just waiting to be busted for blatant disregard of fire code.
3. Japanese weather. It's 75 degrees here and sunny... and it's practically November. Just sayin', I don't mind the sun, I don't mind at all...
No comments:
Post a Comment