Friday, January 8, 2010

How, in Japan, I Began 2010

1.“くつを忘れた” (I forgot my shoes!)
Said to me by a five year-old boy who forgot his shoes at the entrance to the school. I walked with him downstairs to get his shoes. I don’t know why but this struck me as particularly cute.

2. Ending telephone conversations with, “Hello!”
One of the five year-old girls at the nursery school and I were playing house and calling each other on the “telephone” (two pieces of cardboard). In Japanese getting off of the phone is like a competition to see who can make the most noise before the receiver clicks. You say something like, “hai~ wakarimashita~, sayonara~, hai~” and continue to hold the last syllable until the other person has hung up. It’s polite...? Anyway, this little girl decided to end her conversation with, “hai wakarimashita, Hello~”. I may not understand Japanese telephone etiquette, but I know that was adorable.

3.Christmas #2!
Since I surprised my parents for Christmas, all of my presents were shipped to Japan. This means that they are currently sitting on my sofa, waiting to be opened. Tomorrow, I’m calling my parents and opening the presents over Skype. First of all: the times we live in: wow. Secondly: it’s like Christmas Eve all over again!!! I can’t wait for second Christmas!!! :)

1 comment:

uppermeadows said...

It was really fun to have you home and I'm glad we were able to watch you open your presents back in Japan on Skype! Grandma would have loved this! We're enjoying your comments on the kids - what a riot! It's good that you're keeping this blog as you have an easy way to record some of these experiences. Thanks for the post! LL, D