Sunday, December 13, 2009

Kimono and Crack-pipes: A Very Japanese Day

1. Crack pipes. Ok, we're starting from the end, but I feel I should explain this one first. Ok, I did not see, nor have I ever seen a crack pipe in Japan. I don't even know what they looked like, but tonight my new friends/second or third set of surrogate Japanese parents/grandparents decided to introduce me to "brandy tea". First of all, they turned the lights down really low. Then Noriko, the mother, poured a cup of tea. Her husband, Ichiro, poured brandy over a sugar cube that he had in a tea spoon and proceeded to light it on fire. I couldn't help but laugh to myself at how much this seemed like we were doing some kind of hard core drugs. Of course, though, it was nothing of the sort and the brandy tea tasted very good.

2. Kimono. Today was the first time I have ever worn a real kimono for winter. I have pictures, but I don't think I'll be able to load them any time soon. This week is getting really busy!!! However, I will say that it really was an experience in itself. There are a ridiculous number of ties and pieces of padding and sashes you have to put on. It's almost like if a tuxedo were a dress and twice as complicated.

3. Gingerbread cookies. I got to make gingerbread cookies today in Uji for a cooking class. It was really great! They weren't really like our gingerbread cookies, but it was close enough, especially considering I won't be able to actually have gingerbread cookies next year. :(

4. Kyoto play-time. Last night was spent out on the town in Kyoto with my friends from Uji celebrating Katherine's birthday. We actually ended up eating at TGI Friday's but we had a great time and did karaoke afterwards. Despite the fact that I'm feeling rather homesick for Christmas, I also can't help still feeling incredibly lucky to be where I am. Kyoto is a wonderful city.

Lastly, I would like to thank everyone who has sent me emails and post cards lately. As the Christmas season sets in I want to let you all know that I am thinking of you. (Also if you don't remember having given me your address, please do so now. I very well may send a gift your way.)
Love love love to you all!
Sarah xoxo

No comments: