Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Gas heaters and steaming bowls of daikon... it must be winter

懐かしいな〜

Today when the kids left school I could hear them screaming さむい! (it's cold!) in the halls, and indeed it was. My three quarter sleeve sweater did not cut it. Then this evening I went to Mamiko's house and we had oden with big hunks of daikon (Japanese radish) and on the bike ride home from Mamiko's I could smell gas from space heaters spilling out into the dark streets. It's winter in Japan.

Today was cold, thus only one highlight:

1. Vocabulary diversification. Today one of my teachers had a few extra minutes at the end of class and decided to have me say a list of colors while the kids repeated after me. I was really not in the mood for rote memorization stuff. So as "revenge" (adopted into Japanese as a much cuter word) I contributed a new color to their vocabulary: a whole class of Japanese fifth graders saying, "cerulean".


Honorable mention: Mamiko. It always brightens my day to go to her house and chat. Also she makes a mean café au lait.

2 comments:

YoYos Roomies said...

what the god damn hell is cerulean?

Sarah said...

Jonathan, are you of Bristol? Cerulean is a pretty way to say 'blue'.