1. The Bara room. I got to visit the three year-olds again today and it was another wonderful day of rolly-polly-baby-laughter. I really think I'm the luckiest JET there is. Anyway, I felt pretty good about the amount of English I spoke with the kids today. Now that they know me a bit I feel like I can use more English and they're less likely to lose interest. When I say something to these kids they say things like, "she's still speaking English!" and "what are you saying?" but then they just laugh and we keep playing. Oh, and I also got to put them to sleep for their nap since I was there for the whole day. These are the days when I think, "I can't believe I get paid to do this." Fifteen sleeping babies = so adorable.
2. Bike rides after school. Today I biked to the post office to send something off to Minnesota and on the way I saw two of my elementary students. I heard them say, "Ah, Sarah-sensei" and so I called out, "bye-bye!" to them and they yelled, "bye-bye!" back to me. It's not uncommon but it makes me feel at home in Ujitawara whenever I run into my students outside of school.
3. Sara-sara. The latest thing that the students at the junior high, and the preschool have picked up on is how different my hair is from theirs. They've started messing around with it while saying, "sara-sara! sara-sara!" I believe 'sara-sara' is one of their many sound words and it means... I don't really know but apparently it can be said in regards to the consistency of someone's hair... "soft," maybe? It's actually really amazing; Japanese has tons of designated onomatopoeias like, 'byon-byon' for something that goes fast and 'kira-kira' for something shiny. Anyway, of course, they all think it's also funny that my name is Sarah, although, my favorite association will always be the fact that my name literally means "dish". Japanese can be pretty great sometimes.
1 comment:
Post a Comment