1. Practically a certified teacher. What are the necessary skills required to run a third grade classroom in Japan? Well, whatever they are, two teachers this week have decided that I have them. Yes, twice now I have been left in a room alone with twenty-something nine year-olds and somehow the classes managed to not somehow completely implode. It was a miracle. In the one class I taught shapes via Christmas tree/ornament display and lead a card game afterwards. The second class was much easier, I was just giving a little talk about Christmas and letting the kids ask questions. So, I don't know whether I'm angry or thankful at/for these teachers. On the one hand, I think it's ridiculous that they think I could handle a major conflict in the classroom, should one arise; but on the other hand I'm flattered that they trust me enough to take charge of the class. Either way, I think it was really good for me to realize that I can do something like that. In the future I think I'll be all the more brave for it.
2. Manabi salon is OVER. I had a special class today called "Manabi Salon" (don't ask me why, but in Japan "salon" is synonymous with "classroom" sometimes...). For the class we basically sang songs and played some games. Unfortunately, since Japanese students tend to be shy, the songs were pretty low energy. On the other hand, there were 90 students, so it wasn't that quiet. Overall, the lesson went pretty well and I think the kids had fun. I'm just so glad that it's over, I was worrying about it all week. Yikes!
3. The bus lady. Today I got a present from a woman in town who I met on the bus. It's a Christmas CD of Elvis' "duets" with modern singers. Kind of funny, but I really can't get over how sweet of her it was for her to think of me. As the holidays are drawing near, it's hard to think that I won't be home for Christmas this year. There are even Christmas decorations in downtown Kyoto... Well, before this entry gets too sad, I'll just conclude by saying it is thanks to Japanese people like Yoshimi-san (who gave me the CD) and Erina (whose house I'll be going to for Christmas) that I will be able to make it through the Christmas season with a smile on my face. Really, I'll send pictures.
Thinking of you all, and missing you all very much,
Sarah xoxo
No comments:
Post a Comment