Hello ho hum Holland!!! I love Holland. Can I just write that for this post? No, I think Mom might get a bit angry if that was all I wrote. Ok, well, Utrecht is wonderful. For those who don't know, I'm spending the weekend with my friend Anja Srienc. Today she, Tessa and I went around Utrecht mainly shopping and looking at Cathedrals. I couldn't resist buying a children's book (in Dutch, of course). It's one of the 'Jip and Jannika' books. Anyway, it's adorable and who knows, maybe I'll be able to read it someday. I was actually thinking that if I do get into the international school system Holland would be a wonderful place to teach. Utrecht is so adorable, too. The buildings are, of course, all old and cute. The canals are lovely and there are flower shops on the street even though it's January. The weather is warm compared to Minnesota (especially right now!), though it rains more than it does in London.
Yesterday we went to Amsterdam and that was really fun as well. We walked through the red light district, went to the Van Gogh museum, and had some Dutch fries with mayonaise. They were delicious. Oh, also, for Saturday night and yesterday Kelsey Dullinger was here too because she's studying in London for the term (actually not too far from where our next hotel will be). So, Saturday night Kelsey and I had a great time riding into town on the back of Marje and Anja's bikes. We then went to a church that had been converted into a bar after which we went to two clubs. The first one was called 'Stairway to Heaven' and they played rock music. There were some very interesting people head banging on stage so we only stayed there for half an hour or so. Then we went to another club where they were playing techno. I have to say, the Dutch aren't the craziest dancers. The two step seemed to be the dance of choice. We actually talked to a group of Dutch guys. One of them was really annoying but for the most part they were really nice and not creepy at all. I've actually found people in the Netherlands to be really nice and they all speak English really well which helps, of course. It will be interesting to see how France is.
Well, I think it's time to sign off for now. I hope you are all well! xoxo
1 comment:
hey sarah, glad to hear you're having fun in the netherlands---before global warming floods the place! they are the master dike builders so they'll figure out how to save all those picturesque buildings. cyndy and i had great times in amsterdam including a tour of a functioning windmill and biking everywhere. it's the only city that respects the bicycle to the point of having huge lanes for them in the city central--even so, they still find thousands of them sunk into the canals when they drain and clean every year! have a great trip in france! love, s-- p.s. cyndy (in a princessly manner) sends love and requests a post card from the victoria and albert.
Post a Comment