Tuesday, January 29, 2008

First night in Paris

Amazingly our hotel has free internet so I can write something more than a few sentances (though, to tell the truth, there's not a ton to report). Mom and I had some difficulty finding each other but since I figured we were both in good health I didn't get too worried. Mom was 'freaking out' but, obviously, we found each other. So, that day (yesterday) we went to an English restaurant where we had hot pies for dinner and hot pudding for dessert. Today we went for a walk in Regents Park and I showed mom where I stayed for the first two weeks of the trip. After that we walked around near Piccadily Circus and got lunch to go. After that we got on the Chunnel (which nearly killed my ears) and voila! We were in Paris. We have so far run into many nice French people and only one slightly rude French person, but I feel like they must get so tired of tourists, it's understandable.
It's strange suddenly being in France. The tubes... erm, Metro, I guess, are/is similar enough to those in London that I can figure it out but different enough that it's a bit confusing. It's cool to be surrounded by French but also pretty humbling. Basically I realized I can't speak French. Tant pis. (Too bad). Anyway, I think if I lived here for a while I could pick it up okay but just being here for a week I don't really see that happening... we'll see. It's odd, before this I felt like I knew more French but now I find myself wanting to respond to Mom and others in Japanese. Sadly, in Europe, there aren't a whole lot of Japanese speakers besides the Japanese tourists who I don't really approach. That would be a bit weird to say the least.
Well, I think that's all I'll write for now. I feel like I'm on a boat and I haven't even been on a boat today... I think I should go to sleep.

1 comment:

uppermeadows said...

Hi Sarah - Sounds like you're getting the feel of being in a place where the world around you isn't immediately or completely available to you. Walking around in Hong Kong is much the same. But there's a lot that's intriguing and beguiling about that, as I'm sure you know. Enjoy the foreign sounds and the words you cannot understand. Some you can and that's fun too. Soak it in. Start planning your next trip to Paris now. See you in a week. LL, Dad