1. Singing in the office. Today I was asked to host a Christmas party/cultural event in the cultural center. We were brainstorming about what I should do (Christmas cards, present exchange) and my boss began singing "White Christmas." Before you knew it there I was singing "White Christmas" with two old Japanese men in Kyoto in early November. Oh, also they asked me if I could play it on piano- most female teachers take piano lessons in Japan. Anyway, I'm going to try. Those two years in elementary school have to be worth something, right?
2. Renée Fleming. If I can't have St. Olaf I can at least pretend I'm there while listening to a little Schubert. Side note: to all you musically inclined Olaf grads: if you have recordings you should send them my way. I'll make you famous in Japan. ;)
3. Charles Dickens: thank you for entertaining characters.
Dostoevsky: see above- also thank you for teaching me about Russia.
4. Minnesota: thank you for teaching me how to survive in the cold. Everyone here complains about the cold but I think I'm going to make it just fine.
5. Halloween. One epic night in Kyoto: bar hopping, kabob-eating, and karaoke singing until dawn. Not something I need to do every week, but not going to lie, it was great fun.
That's all I have for now. Keep warm!
1 comment:
Re. Dickens, I am still reading The Pickwick Papers, delighting in his array of characters. I'm reading it in between other books like The Wordy Shipmates by Sarah Vowell which I just finished for my book club meeting tomorrow. It was a tough slog - I think only 2 of us will have actually read it. One woman said she stopped after 2 pages. Most gave up within the first 80, I think. Dickens has been a very welcome respite in between stints with Ms. Vowell.
Post a Comment