Monday, October 25, 2010

Persimmon月

October has been busy. Let's go weekend by weekend.

1. Nicole. My friend Nicole came from Virginia to tour around Japan with her friend Elizabeth but lucky for me she came a few days early so we had some time to catch up and shuffle around Kyoto together, reminiscing about our times in Nagasaki. Actually Nicole and I have only ever met in Japan, but we're pals. Haha. Highlights include Ginkakuji, an organic cafe with amazing sandwiches and even cooler people, a cake shop, and wandering around my town in the rain. However, I think the most memorable part of the trip was leaving a note in a drawer for two cute guys we saw at a coffee shop. I'm pretty sure the only person who will come across that note will be a very confused waitress.

2. Heather and Joe. Heather D'Evelyn and Joe came to visit me the next weekend and we met up in Kyoto for dinner one night and had Italian in Uji the second night. Unfortunately Joe lost his phone so the first day was hectic but he got it back and everything worked out just fine on day number two. It was so wonderful to see Heather, it almost felt like being back home! (Siri, we missed you!!!Beee!!!)

3. Shinichi. This weekend my friend Shinichi came over from where he works in Mie and we had fun catching up and seeing some really amazing spots in Kyoto. We went to Nanzen-ji, which may be my new favorite temple in Kyoto, discovered a magical thatched roof house (actually probably part of a secret temple where monks get to meditate in the mountains all day... luckies) and had delicious green tea flavored cream puffs with Godiva milk shakes.

General life updates:
The grad school application process is still underway but I'm such a slow writer I'll be amazed when the TC application is done and astounded if I have enough energy to finish two or three more.
Looked at the Bank Street application and it requires at least three essays. Buh.

In other news it's already started to get really dark really early. I am in danger of becoming a bear and hibernating all winter under my living room table under a blanket with a bag of chocolate and some books. Hence I may undertake joining a Japanese gym in the near future. Wish me luck.

Finally, it is persimmon appreciation month. Since the fall leaves aren't out in full force yet, bright round shapes of orange persimmons stand out against the dark green mountains, anticipating winter. It's still cheery, but getting colder.

2 comments:

Emma said...

Sarah I love you and your blog. I've been waiting for an update!!
I am also considering hibernation. It's freezing here, countdown is 21 days til the central heating gets turned on, and the city becomes even more polluted. In your words, "Buh".
Also thinking of joining a Chinese gym. I'll be thinking of you as you pursue that endeavor. I have a feeling you and I might both stand out.
I love you forevers.

Sarah said...

目立つやな!
Yeah, we're gonna stand out >_< Oh well, ganbarou! We'll do our best ^_^ Love you tons,
Sarah xoxo